Home >> Statutes >> Back

Click to open printable format in new window.Printable Format
 | Next

82a-725. Same; reference to state division or its chief engineer; procedures; cases in federal courts. In any suit to which the state is not a proper party brought in any court of competent jurisdiction in this state for determination of rights to water, the court may order a reference to the division of water resources or its chief engineer, as referee, for investigation of and report upon any or all of the physical facts involved and the division or its chief engineer shall thereupon make such an investigation and report as ordered by the court. The report shall set forth such findings of fact as may be required by the court's order of reference and may contain such opinions upon the facts as it deems proper in view of the issues submitted. Before filing its report, the division or its chief engineer shall mail notice of its report together with a copy of it, to the parties or their attorneys of record.

Within thirty (30) days from the date of the mailing of the copy of the report, any party may file objections to it with the division of water resources or its chief engineer. After the division, or its chief engineer, has considered the objections, it shall file its report, as referee, with the clerk of the court and give notice by registered or certified mail of the filing of its report to the parties or their attorneys. The court shall review the report upon exceptions thereto filed with the clerk of the court within thirty (30) days after date of mailing registered notice of the filing of the report. Except in its discretion or for good cause shown, the court shall not consider any exception to the report unless it appears that the excepting party presented the matter of the exception to the division or its chief engineer in the form of an objection. The report shall be evidence of the physical facts found therein, but the court shall hear such evidence as may be offered by any party to rebut the report or the evidence. If suit is brought in a federal court for determination of rights to water within, or partially within, the state, the division or its chief engineer may accept a reference of such suit as master or referee for the court.

History: L. 1957, ch. 539, ยง 25; June 29.

 | Next

Information for Special Session 2020

3/24/2020 Meeting Notice Agenda
3/27/2020 Meeting Notice Agenda
3/29/2020 Meeting Notice Agenda
4/2/2020 Meeting Notice Agenda
4/8/2020 Meeting Notice Agenda
4/13/2020 Meeting Notice - Cancelled
4/22/2020 Meeting Notice Agenda
5/6/2020 Meeting Notice Agenda
3/29/2020 Covid-19 Map
LCC Policies

Chapter 72 Statute Transfer List
Kansas School Equity & Enhancement Act
Gannon v. State
General Information, Legal Analysis & Research
2018 Amended & Repealed Statutes
2017 Amended & Repealed Statutes
2016 Amended & Repealed Statutes
2015 Amended & Repealed Statutes
2014 Amended & Repealed Statutes
2013 Amended & Repealed Statutes

Session Laws

Kansas Legislature
Administrative Services
Division of Post Audit
Research Department