Home >> Statutes >> Back

Click to open printable format in new window.Printable Format
 | Next

19-3512. Annexation of territory or extension of boundaries; procedure; election; dissolution of certain rural water districts, when. (a) Subject to the provisions of K.S.A. 19-270, and amendments thereto, any water district, formed under provisions of this act and owning or maintaining a water system, may annex adjoining territory for the purpose of supplying and distributing water in such territory upon the presentation to its board of a petition signed by the owners of 51% of the land in the area sought to be added to such water district. Such petition shall contain a description of the territory proposed to be annexed, by sections, or subdivisions of sections, according to the government survey or by metes and bounds. The board may annex the territory described if it finds the annexation will be of benefit to the district. Copies of all annexation resolutions and petitions shall be filed in the office of the county clerk and in the office of the register of deeds of all counties in which a portion of such district lies.

(b) The board of any water district organized hereunder and the board or governing body of any other water utility, as defined by K.S.A. 19-3501, and amendments thereto, which adjoins such district are hereby authorized and empowered to enter into an agreement providing for the extension of the boundaries of such water district to include part or all of another water utility or area served by the other water utility. Such agreement may provide, but not necessarily be limited to, the terms and conditions for: (1) The transfer of control and ownership of such other water utility's water supply and distribution system, including all property, equipment, records, reports and funds, to the water district; (2) the continued service to customers of such system by such district; and (3) the assumption of all or part of the revenue bond liability and any other outstanding obligations of such other water utility.

The water district board and the governing body of such other water utility shall each adopt a resolution approving such agreement, and a copy of such agreement shall be filed for public inspection in the office of the county clerk of each county in which a portion or all of the area served by such district or such other water utility lies. The water district board shall cause notice of the approval of the agreement to extend the boundaries of such district and the offices in which it has been filed to be published once in a newspaper or newspapers of general circulation in the areas served by such district and such other water utility. Such notice shall state that the proposed extension shall be made unless there is presented to the water district board or the governing body of such other water utility a protest petition as hereinafter provided. No protest may be presented by any stockholder of any such other water utility which has approved such agreement.

If, within 60 days after publication of such notice, there is presented either to the water district board or to the governing body of any such other water utility a written protest against the proposed extension signed by qualified electors of the water district or of the area served by any such other water utility, respectively, equal to 2% of the qualified electors who voted at the last preceding general election, the board or the governing body of the other water utility shall present such proposed extension to the qualified electors of the water district or of such other water utility at a special election called and held in the same manner provided by K.S.A. 19-3507a and 19-3508, and amendments thereto. The boundary extension shall not be made unless approved by a majority of the qualified electors voting thereon at the election hereinbefore required.

(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of K.S.A. 82a-629, and amendments thereto, whenever the water district enters an agreement pursuant to subsection (b) with a rural water district and such agreement provides for the: (1) Total transfer of the rural water district's water supply and distribution system; (2) continuation of service to all customers of the rural water district; and (3) assumption of all revenue bond liability and any other outstanding obligations of the rural water district, the rural water district shall be dissolved if the agreement and the published notice so provide.

History: L. 1951, ch. 240, § 12; L. 1957, ch. 192, § 8; L. 1963, ch. 199, § 1; L. 1975, ch. 170, § 4; L. 1985, ch. 100, § 2; L. 1986, ch. 70, § 12; L. 1988, ch. 107, § 1; July 1.

 | Next

LCC Policies
Session Laws

Amended & Repealed Statutes

Amended & Repealed Statutes

Amended & Repealed Statutes

Chapter 72 Statute Transfer List

Kansas School Equity & Enhancement Act

Gannon v. State

General Information, Legal Analysis & Research

2016 Amended & Repealed Statutes

2015 Amended & Repealed Statutes

2014 Amended & Repealed Statutes

2013 Amended & Repealed Statutes

Kansas Legislature
Administrative Services
Division of Post Audit
Research Department